Ford F-150 (2009-2014) :: Black Fluid Leak From Transmission?

Apr 27, 2015

about a week ago I popped both of the passenger side tires By hitting a rather tall curb while trying to avoid being t-boned. And I have had the passenger side jacked up for about a week now while waiting for the shop to order and get in my new rims. It has been raining here for the past week so I only just noticed today that there was a puddle underneath of my truck.

It looks and feels like engine oil but it is leaking from the back of my transmission. I can't figure what it might be because transmission fluid is red and my transmission has never overheated So it should not be burned. It has 128k miles on it so it also only has 8k miles on the last fluid change. So it's fairly new fluid. What this could be?

I know some seal is obviously broken and the way everything is wet around just the back bottom of the transmission it looks like it is coming from the transmission. I originally thought it was just the transfer case got hit and it could be a bushing at either the transfer case or transmission but there is no scraping on anything under the truck so none of it was hit or damaged from that. What could be causing this?

View 12 Replies

Advertisement

Ford F-150 (2009-2014) :: 2011 - Fluid Leak - Yellow Antifreeze?

I have a 2011 SCREW Eco-Boost with a build date in April 2011. I have a gravel driveway. When I first got the truck I noticed small dark spots in the gravel but attributed it to the A/C. I parked over some fresh snow the other night and found some fluid stain on the ground in the morning. It was kind of by the motor and then a little further back. It was the color of yellow/chartruse antifreeze but the truck has pink antifreeze in the overflow tank. What is going on?

View 7 Replies

Ford F-150 (2009-2014) :: 2010 2WD - Power Steering Fluid Leak

My 2010 F-150 Lariat 5.4L 2WD Ext Cab with 76,000 miles is leaking power steering fluid. I traced it down to the cooling coil in between the radiator and the transmission cooler. It does not look easy or cheap to get out of there. Stop leak scares me a bit...

View 14 Replies

Ford F-150 (2009-2014) :: 2010 - Changing Transmission Fluid?

My new to me 2010 f150 4x4 superCrew Lariat is great. Got the 6spd tranny. Do a lot of maint. Myself and wanting to change tranny fluid since I hit 90k. Didn't see a dipstick. Called the stealership and they told me I can't do the change n/c I need certain equipment.

Are there any write ups? Are there any more surprises with this truck, like routine maint issues that I need to be aware of? I plan on doing diff fluid changes. Is this possible?

View 4 Replies

Ford F-150 (2009-2014) :: Checking Transmission Fluid Levels?

My truck just had it's check up at the dealership. On the slip it stated ATF fluid on rear housing. The tech said "No big deal maybe take a better look and maybe replace rear gasket later down the road". So first where is the check hole as I know there is no dip stick plus I think you use your finger to figure level. How far up should it be? I go over my truck about once a month looking for stuff and would like to include in my inspections.

View 4 Replies

Ford F-150 (2009-2014) :: Change Transmission Fluid At 110K Miles?

My truck just hit 110k on the clock, and i've never had the transmission fluid changed. Is this something that I am past due on changing or early? I don't know when it is supposed to be changed. If so is it something that you can do yourself?

View 14 Replies

Ford F-150 (2009-2014) :: Transmission Leak - Drip And Run Stain Under The Truck On Driveway

I have an 09 screw, 4.6 3v, 3.55, 2wd. Last week, I noticed on the driveway a drip and run stain under the truck. I dismissed it as ac runoff. But it remained and lengthened. I got under it yesterday, and the tranny crossmember has fluid on it. I can't pinpoint where it is coming from. There was no drip either, and the truck was relatively cool. Of course there is no tranny fluid dipstick to check and the tranny pan is intact. It seems to be behind the transmission towards the driveshaft.

View 14 Replies

Ford Transmission :: 1999 - No Forward Or Reverse Gears / Black Trans Fluid

My 1999 7.3l Disel 4x4 transmission quit on me the other day. No forward or reverse. Got towed to my regular repair shop, and they are treating the transmission as a black box and recommending total replacement. The diagnostics they performed were to make sure it was shifting, and that indeed it wasn't going forward or reverse. They drained the fluid and said "it's pitch black" and said it had to be completely replaced.

Fluid level was OK, and it wasn't hot. I was driving along, and merging onto the highway. It downshifted, shuddred, and nadda. Free rev. I coasted to the next exit and into a parking lot. Verified that it was shifting, checked Rev and all forwards. It wouldn't shift into 4W, and 1-2 also wouldn't move.

I'm trying to figure out what might have happened... and if it's worth trying to have the truck towed to a transmission shop and have them diagnose and rebuild, vs just getting a remanufactured transmission. None of the local wreckers have any used transmissions, and the cost between a reman and a used is pretty negligible...

Not sure what the symptoms points to for exact failure mode, be it the torque converter, pump, input shaft, etc... I've never had an automatic transmission apart before, but built plenty of motors and am a machinist by trade. My preference is to try and root cause the failure...

View 1 Replies

Toyota - Rav4 :: 2007 - Transmission Fluid Is Black

My mechanic says the transmission fluid in my 2007 Rav4 (about 47K, normal driving) is black and needs replacing ($144). I called the local Toyota service department who said this car has a sealed transmission and replacement is not needed. The Toyota maintenance schedule does not recommend replacement until 120K miles.

View 12 Replies

Toyota - Camry :: 1992 - Transmission Fluid Black / Pint Too Much?

My 1992 4-cylinder Camry has black transmission fluid and also appears to have a pint too much, according to the dipstick. I've driven the car for 3 years with no transmission problems. Should I do nothing? Should I have the tranny flushed? Should I drain what I can from the drain plug and replace with official Toyota fluid? Is this synthetic tranny fluid? Of course, I was too dumb at purchase, 3 years ago, to check the tranny fluid.

View 10 Replies

Ford F-150 (2009-2014) :: Black Screen On Backup Cam

This does not happen all the time but my backup camera goes black and the dealer cant find the problem...

View 2 Replies

Ford F-150 (2009-2014) :: Black Soot Accumulation On Tailpipe?

First, the basics: 09 SCREW 4.6L V8, bone stock, 63K miles.

Over the holidays I put about 1800 miles on my truck. I've noticed an accumulation of black soot on my tail pipe. Not a lot, but some.

Also, my highway gas mileage is down some, from 21-22 to 20mpg.

My vast experience with engines tells me that my engine may be running rich, which would explain the loss of gas mileage.

View 3 Replies

Ford F-150 (2009-2014) :: Black Smoke At Start Up For Maybe 15 - 60 Seconds?

Have a 2009 Ford F-150 with 5.4 ... Recently installed a cold air intake and now when I start it burns black smoke for maybe 15-60 seconds.

I have to rev the engine up by pushing on the gas or else it will stall.... after the 15-60 seconds the smoke turns clear and it idles with no problem and sounds normal.

This happens every time I don't use it for over 9 hours or so if I leave it for a couple hours it will start normal and idle normal....

View 3 Replies

Toyota - Camry :: Tranny Fluid Is Black And Smell Burnt / Transmission Is Slipping

My car is a Toyota Camry 2003, automatic transmission. I don't know if the previous owner ever change the transmission fluid, but my car has 100k miles already. Today, I took the transmission fluid dipstick out, it look black and smell burnt, but I don't see any metal. I don't know how to take out the pan and check for metallic pieces, is there any auto shop that would do it for free?When I accelerate to 40mph from a complete stop, the RPM goes up the 3000 and then quickly drop to 2000, then gradually drop to 1300. My car speed up really slowly even when I keep holding the gas pedal down with my feet. Is my transmission slipping? Sometimes when I start my car or when I change gear, my car jerk a little. I'm afraid it too bad already and my transmission is depending on the broken metal pieces, so I don't know if I should flush it? Will changing the transmission fluid fix the problem?

View 8 Replies

Ford - Explorer :: 2002 - Transmission Fluid Leak

How I could take my ford explorer 2002 in to the shop to replace the radiator and come out with transmission fluid leaking. The mechanic said it is some kind of hose but it wasn't leaking before and after I drive I can see it dripping out. I'm just not sure if they messed up something. Unfortunately my husband is overseas and cannot check it.

View 3 Replies

Ford Excursion :: 2000 - Transmission Fluid Leak?

My new/used 2000 4x4 excursion with 214000 miles on it has a transmission fluid leak.

It could be a rear portion of pan gasket but it seems to be coming out of the area where the transmission bolts to the extension housing.

I just put a transfer case in it. Thought all the fluid all over was due to exploded T case.

It seems the output shaft seal may be bad. I cannot seem to find an OEM part number for this seal.

What is part number for this seal, if one exists? Maybe the seal is in the extension housing and it's just the gasket between Trans and housing.

View 8 Replies

Ford Ranger / B-Series :: Warmed Up While Driving - Fluid Leak From Front Of Transmission

I bought a 1990 ranger with only 38000 miles on it from a online auction from boing aircraft. it never left the flight line and never even had a title. I picked it up from the airport and found out that it didn't have AC like they said, I was a little ticked but that isn't the main problem. When I drive it and it gets warmed up it leaks Tranny fluid from the front of the transmission. The engine does not overheat. It is a 4 cyl AOD automatic with a real thin radiator and a transmission cooler. Without AC the truck isn't the good deal I thought I was getting, and with a bad tranny this is becoming a big OOPS. Why this is happening?

View 3 Replies

Ford F-150 - 1997-2003 :: Rattling In Engine Like Something Came Loose - Transmission Fluid Leak

I have a 97 ford f150 v6 2wheel drive. I was driving to work when l heard rattling in the engine like something came loose when I stopped to check my transmission fluid was pouring out drained out in 2mins tops. What do you think it could be?

View 6 Replies

Ford F-150 (2009-2014) :: Instructions About Fluid Changes?

I have a 2009 F150 5.4 that is 4x4 and I would like to get some info on performing fluid changes. The truck is coming up on 30,000 miles and I do tow a lot. The transmission and front differential seem to be the hardest fluids to change.

View 3 Replies

Ford Excursion :: 2003 - Transmission Fluid Leak Near The Front Passenger Side Of Truck

2003 Limited 6.0 130K. Just took a 1000 mile trip for spring break. While away, I noticed a small leak near the front passenger side of the truck. It is red so I assumed it was transmission fluid. It is leaking from, the best I can describe, a small housing that looks like it might be a filter near the tire (it looks like the old style canister oil filter housings). All the hoses are clean and where the hoses go into the radiator are clean. Is this an easy fix? I am a bit worried about trying to get the thing off without damaging the hoses.

View 3 Replies

Ford Ranger / B-Series :: 1987 - Transmission Leak / Fluid Puking Out Inspection Plate Area

Dad gave me an 87 Ford ranger a couple weeks ago. I love it. Everything works except I'm having transmission leak issues when I drive her more than 30 miles or so.the symptom is fluid puking out inspection plate area. I checked coolant lines today and unfortunately they are working great. I've had a couple suggestions recommending replacement of the front seal our front pump seal (is there a difference?)

View 7 Replies

Copyrights 2005-15 www.bigresource.org, All rights reserved